Italian police arrest suspect in supermarket attack in northern Italy

1 dead, 4 wounded in Italy supermarket stabbing spree The suspect, a white man in his 20s who lived in Rome, was arrested in Turin and has been transferred to Italy’s maximum-security hospital in southern Lazio.

Italian authorities are investigating reports the man accused of killing six people, injuring two others and driving into a crowd on a supermarket in northern Italy stabbed to death an 18-year-old man before driving into a crowd of people in a car in the coastal town of Lampedusa, local prosecutor Alberto Caruana said.

The suspect, who was not identified until he was taken into custody, was arrested in Milan on Thursday, and he remains in a hospital in the Lombardy region, where he was moved after the attack, Caruana said in a statement, adding that he was not known to police.

Prosecutors and police continue to work on the investigation but no further details have been released.

The attack began in the early hours of Friday, when the suspected assailant entered a supermarket in the northern town of Brescia where he attacked three people and then headed to the nearby Campania department of Lampedusa, the Italian news agency ANSA reported.

The suspect shot and stabbed an 18-year-old man, killing him, and then drove into a crowd, injuring seven others, according to police.

Police believe the suspect had a possible accomplice who may have fled the scene or was driving the car that sped off after the attack, Italy’s national anti-terrorism police official Luca Bruno told ANSA. A man of Asian appearance was shot and killed near the scene, Bruno said.

Italy’s anti-terrorism police (Carabinieri) were investigating the attack but had no immediate information on whether any suspects had been tracked down.

The suspect’s face was covered in a ski mask and was wearing pants and a sleeveless shirt with the letter “C” in the front, Caruana said.

He was captured after he was wounded by the police in Milan, the city where his car was found, ANSA reported.

The driver, apparently the only person involved in the attack, was a 25-year-old Italian man from Turin, according to the Italian news agency ANSA.

ANSA quoted his colleague’s account: “He was the only one who was injured by him, he was

Leave a Comment