Venus Williams withdraws from US Open after injury

Venus Williams bows out in first round of women’s singles at US Open

AUSTIN — Venus Williams withdrew from play Tuesday at the US Open, saying she would take more time to recover from three weeks of tennis to recover from an injury.

“I will take it easy,” Williams said in a statement released by her spokeswoman, Wendy King. “I had hoped to recover sooner than this, but it also would have required a longer-term commitment on my part. I will now take care of myself by going immediately to the airport and taking a much-needed vacation in the Caribbean.”

Williams, who withdrew from the WTA tournament in Shanghai last Friday because of a strained left ankle, will skip the rest of the season’s schedule. She had said prior to the tournament that she would play three events, then rest for the remainder of the year.

But before Williams’ withdrawal, she had been set to play her first event of the season, the Canadian Open, in Montreal on Sept. 2. She has been sidelined since July 23, when she felt pain after coming to a stop during a match.

“It is with a heavy heart I announce that I will not compete at the US Open,” Williams said. “I will take a much-needed vacation during the fall and will be back next year. I hope that my determination not to miss the US Open allows me to be back 100 percent for the start of the season.”

Williams has been ranked No. 1 in the world since September 2014, when she won her first Grand Slam title in New York. She is ranked No. 2 in the world, behind Novak Djokovic, who recently announced he will make his first Grand Slam doubles appearance at the US Open in Austin.

In the past, Williams has given an estimated four- to five-week notice when she wanted to delay her return after a tournament. She also was forced to withdraw from Wimbledon in 2014 because of the need to go in for treatment for tendinitis in her left Achilles tendon.

Leave a Comment